Raised so far
Help an old banger raise $20,000 to improve the lives
of those impacted by Multiple Sclerosis in New Zealand.
Multiple Sclerosis New Zealand and Hopeworks NZ are the masthead charities for the exciting Bangers to Bluff Rally 2021. The annual rally, organised by The Rotary Club of Half Moon Bay, challenges teams to drive a ‘banger’ from Auckland to Bluff, on roads less travelled via several iconic regions.
The rally will leave Auckland on the 6th April and arrive in Bluff on the 17th April. Travelling roads less travelled, 20 teams will compete for points and prizes, by participating in challenges and competitions throughout.
At the end of the rally in Invercargill on 17th April, the bangers will be auctioned, with proceeds being donated to charities the Rotary Club of Half Moon Bay supports, including Multiple Sclerosis NZ, Hopeworks NZ and Regional MS Societies the rally meets on the way.
Our donated banger barely made it out of the starting block when we first picked it up, breaking down after just 20km. We’re hoping our fixed up banger can make it all the way to Bluff, 2,300kms, without any flat tyres, broken fan belts or empty fuel tanks. Think we can make it?!
Please donate to support our banger, your encouragement is our fuel!
Exercise is Medicine
One of our team members, Graham Walker, was diagnosed with Primary Progressive MS. In his early days of diagnosis, Graham had it impressed upon him the importance of exercise in being able to take control of his condition. “Use it or lose it” the Neurological Physiotherapists said. "So it really was a no-brainer, neurological condition and all, to pursue cycling as my exercise vehicle.”
Therefore, every morning Graham has committed to heading out the starting gates at the crack of dawn, ahead of the cars, to cycle as far as possible each day before getting caught. Who will get furthest? The ‘banger’ or the bike? (With our banger’s history it’s anyone’s bet!)
“My reasons for attempting this are 3 fold; to raise awareness of Multiple Sclerosis, to raise money for the combined Bangers to Bluff charities and, lastly, quite simply, because exercise is medicine”.
Sponsor Graham per kilometre he rides.
Graham is aiming to ride at least 20kms each day over the 12 days between Auckland and Bluff. Not bad for someone with Progressive MS! Why not pledge a certain amount for every KM he rides? If you pledge $1 per KM and he rides 240kms your donation pledge would be $240. You can follow Graham’s progress with regular updates on our Facebook Page or on this website here. On completion of the journey to Wellington we will email you the total KMs Graham has ridden and our bank account details where you can deposit your donation. Email us with your pledge today at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will thank you within the 'Current Pledges' area and provide a total of pledges to date.
Our Team 'Keep Smyelin'
Alongside Graham, team 'Keep Smyelin' consists of our most dedicated volunteers, our President Neil Woodhams and National Executive Committee Member Jeff Silvester. Our enthusiastic team are really looking forward to travelling across New Zealand to spread the word about MS and the necessary supports needed for those affected by the condition to live well.
How Will Your Donations Help?
All funds raised through Bangers to Bluff will help the charities The Rotary Club of Half Moon Bay supports, including Multiple Sclerosis NZ, Hopeworks NZ, and Regional MS Societies the rally meets on the way.
Funds donated to Multiple Sclerosis NZ will help us to achieve our vision of a world without Multiple Sclerosis.
Multiple Sclerosis NZ:
- supports Kiwis affected by Multiple Sclerosis by providing national leadership in advocacy, awareness, information and education;
- helps builds capacity for our 18 regional member organisations by providing nationally consistent, relevant, and evidence-based resources; and
- work to break down barriers to treatment and care for people living with MS.
Your support will assist in driving our Advocacy Programme currently focused on:
- Advocating for increased resourcing for neurological services to improve access to diagnosis, treatment and on-going care.
- Improving the understanding of the costs of MS to the NZ economy, those diagnosed, and their families.
- Funding for treatments in early stages of MS in line with McDonald Criteria 2017.
- Funding for treatments which have shown benefits for Secondary Progressive MS (SPMS) and Primary Progressive MS (PPMS).
- Funded and legal access to medicinal cannabis for people with MS.
- Ensuring Autologous Haematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant (AHSCT) is available and funded in NZ for those who would benefit.
- Pushing for an Independent review of PHARMAC and increased PHARMAC budget to fund life improving and saving medicines.
- Calling for improvements in access to both relief care and long-term residential care for under 65’s with MS.
- Working with the Carers Alliance to improve funding and support for NZ Carers.
Doing all of this, and more, takes a lot of resources. So please, join us today by supporting our banger in the Bangers to Bluff Rally 2021, to raise vital funds and awareness to support those impacted by Multiple Sclerosis in your community.
We would like to express our sincere gratitude to The Rotary Club of Half Moon Bay for giving us the opportunity to be one of the masthead charities selected for this event, to our sponsors for supporting our banger and to you for joining us to make a difference, supporting us on our journey.